Today I am sharing a card featuring Studio Katia’s Japanese Peony stamp and some Zig colouring. I coloured this image recently whilst taking part in The Daily Marker 30 Day Colouring Challenge and rather surprisingly for me, managed to get it on a card base within a few days! Usually it takes months!
The layout is simple, the peony is definitely the star of the show, and it is quite a large image, so it takes up a good proportion of the base card if you use it in its entirety. And it’s a gorgeous image to practice colouring as some of the areas are quite large so you can get some good blending going.
The image was stamped onto my favourite cardstock for Zig colouring – Strathmore Bristol Smooth. It is a slightly off white quite thin cardstock, not a watercolour cardstock mind you. So you do need to be careful with how much water you use when colouring the image. I used Versafine Onyx Black Ink to stamp it as this is a waterproof ink.
For those of you that watched my recent haul video, you will see that I recently bought some new Zigs. And I road tested a few of those colours for this card. I used Pale Rose, Deep Red and Bright Yellow for the petals. Pale Rose was layed down first, little touches here and there of Deep Red were added to that once dry and to get that creamy orange, I scribbled some of the Bright Yellow onto an acrylic block, and only picked up a tiny tiny amount before adding that on top of parts of the pink and blending it out.
I love the mix of colour that it gives. It’s always nice to throw in some extra colour as rarely are petals just a straight flat colour, or even just tones of one colour. In total I had about 3 layers of colour for the petals. The leaves were much quicker and were watercoloured with Olive Green as my darkest, Mid Green as a lighter shade and then Deep Green to add a few greeny/blue tinges.
Everything was fussy cut out, easy as it’s a big image. The peony was popped up with foam tape onto a Neenah 110lb card base. I added a few extra leaves that I had watercoloured around the peony and adhered those with Studio Katia glue. The hello is from Mama Elephant and this was just die cut from black cardstock and then stuck down with wet adhesive.
I thought a gold strip at the bottom would ground the whole card and add a little something something and then I found some old black adhesive pearls bought back in the dark ages (!) and added those in places around the outside. I never know if I add to many and I faffed around for ages with these!
Lastly, I added a bit of sparkle onto the “hello” with some Tonic Nuvo Aqua Shimmer. That finishes my card for today. I hope that you like it and as always, I welcome any comments and feedback. I hope you have a wonderful week and I hope you get some time to craft.